Electrical Engineering Associate (Internship)
Date Posted: 8/23/2023
Location: Remote/Corydon, IA
While this is a remote work position, on-site visits would be possible and necessary, not to interfere with class schedules. Applicants must be within one or two years of graduation.
Brief Description of Job:
- Provide technical design of electrical systems and products.
- Evaluate systems’ safety, reliability, and performance.
- Recommend equipment, new concepts, and techniques to improve performance, simplify processes, and improve material designs or material flaws as related to electrical systems and components.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team and various plant personnel to improve electrical/digital component and product designs on existing products or develop new products related to Zero Turn Lawnmowers (ZTR) and Grain Drying Equipment.
- Design, prototype, test, implement and improve new products, existing products and electrical systems.
- Size and specify electrical parts and electronic components.
- Assist the design improvements on existing products as related to electrical and mechanical systems and components, and new product designs for Zero Turn Lawnmowers (ZTR) and Grain Drying Equipment.
- Interpret mechanical design drawings for electrical requirements.
- Ensure that installation and operations conform to standards by preparing electrical systems specifications and technical drawings.
- Use 2D and 3D drafting and modeling skills in product design and development, electrical schematics/diagrams, and specifications.
- Communicate and coordinate with manufacturing staff and procurement specialists to ensure manufacturability and cost control of the finished product.
- May participate in product development testing to validate the design concepts in the R&D Shop/Area, and often with in-field testing.
- Create detailed manufacturing prints, bill of materials and operating instructions for all products and improvements while interfacing with Sales, Manufacturing, and Procurement to insure an integrated, efficient product roll-out.
- Work with other members of the department as required/needed, including designers and technical drafting support.
- Assist with troubleshooting and problem solving by working directly with the design team, production supervisors/managers, quality personnel, and shop floor production team as needed.
- Maintain consistent communication with the supervisor on the status of assigned tasks. Meet weekly with supervisor via Teams meetings or as needed. Report weekly progress and status of projects.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Follow safety rules and regulations in performing work assignments.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, or related field. Must be within one or two years of graduation.
- Familiarity with NEC, UL, CSA, NFPA, and other electrical industry codes, standards, and practices is an asset.
- Proficiency in 2D or 3D drafting.
- Attention to detail. Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and work from engineering sketches.
- Strong electro/mechanical aptitude.
- Work effectively with limited direction as well as the ability to work in a team environment and multitask effectively.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform repetitive operations.
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs frequently; occasionally lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
- Ability to perform repetitive motions such as bending, walking, reaching with hands, grasping, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) as needed. Steel-toed shoes and safety glasses are required when working in the factory or testing areas.
- Environment ranges from an office environment to a manufacturing shop environment, to a field application environment, with various noise levels and temperatures ranging from hot to cold depending on seasons.