Electrical Engineer Technician
Date Posted: 5/8/2023
Location: Corydon, IA
Shivvers Manufacturing is on a journey to define and create a company culture that provides an environment for all its team members to be heard, inspired, creative, and given opportunity to excel. We are looking for people that are passionate. Would you like to join us in that pursuit?
Shivvers Manufacturing is located in Corydon, in southcentral Iowa. The work location for this position will be at our satellite office building in Urbandale, IA. While primarily working out of the satellite office, employee will be required to travel to the Corydon office regularly, or as needed, in order to complete product testing, builds, etc.
**Note - If candidate is local to the Corydon office area, location for this job could change.
- Provide technical expertise in the design of electrical systems and products.
- Evaluate and recommend systems safety, reliability, and performance.
- Recommend equipment, new concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify processes, and improve material designs as related to electrical systems and components.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team and various plant personnel to improve electrical/digital component and product designs on existing products or develop new products related to Zero Turn Lawnmowers (ZTR) and grain drying equipment.
- Design, prototype, test, implement and improve new products, existing products and electrical systems.
- Size and specify electrical parts and electronic components.
- Lead the design improvements on existing products as related to electrical systems and components, and new product designs for ZTR lawnmowers, grain/crop dryers, heaters/burners, fans, controls, material handling equipment, and grain storage.
- Use knowledge of electrical design, PLC programming and engineering techniques to provide technical leadership to the other members of the department.
- Interpret mechanical design drawings for electrical requirements.
- Ensure that installation and operations conform to standards by preparing electrical systems specifications and technical drawings.
- Use 2D and/or 3D drafting skills in product design and development, electrical schematics/diagrams, and specifications.
- Interface with customers/dealers to obtain practical understanding of requirements to design new products and improve existing products to meet the demands of the market.
- Communicate and coordinate with manufacturing staff and procurement specialists to ensure manufacturability and cost control of the finished product.
- Participate in product development testing to validate the design concepts in the R&D Shop/Area, and often with in-field testing.
- Create detailed manufacturing prints, bill of materials and operating instructions for all products and improvements while interfacing with Sales, Manufacturing, and Procurement to insure an integrated, efficient product roll-out.
- Work with other members of the department as required/needed, including designers and technical drafting support.
- Assist with troubleshooting and problem solving by working directly with the design team, production supervisors/managers, quality personnel, and shop floor production team as needed.
- Maintain consistent communication with the supervisor on the status of assigned tasks.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement activities.
- Follow safety rules and regulations in performing work assignments.
- Perform work in a neat and orderly fashion and maintains a clean work area.
- Associates degree in Electrical Tech. a plus but not required.
- Strong electrical/electronic background would be a plus but not required.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Creative and disciplined.
- A desire to take a concept and run with it.
- PLC programming a plus.
- Familiar with NEC, UL, CSA, NFPA, and other electrical industry codes, standards and practices or ability and desire to become familiar with them.
- Attention to detail. Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and work from engineering sketches.
- Strong electro-mechanical aptitude.
- Work effectively with limited direction as well as the ability to work in a team environment and multitask effectively.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform repetitive operations.
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs frequently; occasionally lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
- Ability to perform repetitive motions such as bending, walking, reaching with hands, grasping, pushing and pulling.
- Ability to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) as needed. Steel-toed shoes and safety glasses are required when working in the factory or testing areas.
- Environment ranges from an office environment to a manufacturing shop environment, to a field application environment with various noise levels and temperatures ranging from hot to cold depending on seasons.